1,400 pounds of #shark-fins, worth up to $1 million, seized in Miami
I can not even imagine how many of these #beautiful-creatures had to be #slaughtered to get 1,400 pound of their fins. It is about as inhumane as it can get.
They capture the sharks, cut their fins off and throw them back into the sea, totally #defenseless and dying.
Shark finning facts:
- Sharks thrown back into the oceans after being finned die in agony from suffocation, blood loss or predation.
- Sharks are apex predators and play a vital role in maintaining marine ecosystems. Without them, marine animals and habitats would suffer.
- Shark finning is unsustainable. Not only do humans decimate shark populations, but sharks have low reproductive rates, making repopulation difficult.
- Many types of sharks are exploited for their fins, including endangered species such as the Scalloped Hammerhead and Great Hammerhead.
- Shark products can contain dangerous levels of mercury, presenting a public health risk.
- Shark fin doesn’t actually have any taste.
- Sharks are hunted for other products such as meat, leather and health supplements in addition to their fins.
Just like the #gorilla’s paws – the #rhino’s tusk – the #elephant’s tusk that so many #nut-cases around the world believe there are some #magical/medicinal benefits to these body parts. If there were not such a demand for them; the #sick-bastards that slaughter them would be out of business.
www.thesun.co.uk › news › 12-of-the-worlds-most-endangered-animals…
12 of the world’s most endangered animals hunted by ruthless …Dec 20, 2018 – THE world’s most endangered animals are on the verge of being wiped out … Great Elephant Census in 2016, as poachers kill them for their ivory tusks. … Tigers are often poached for their body parts to be used in medicines.
#Money/corruption/evil seem to rule the world.
To kill a beautiful animal just to hang it on your wall is insane.