Teenage girl dies from rare brain-attacking amoeba after visiting Whitewater Center in NC
An Ohio teenager died Sunday after contracting a rare brain-attacking amoeba after visiting the U.S. National Whitewater Center in Charlotte.
The victim was an 18-year-old girl from Westerville, Ohio that went swimming while on a trip with her church. A very unfortunate tragedy.
The infection is caused by swimming “warm water-loving amoeba found around the world, often in warm or hot freshwater (lakes, rivers, and hot springs),” according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The amoeba can travel up the nose and into the brain. This causes a disease that destroys brain tissue and causes brain swelling and death.
Here is where it gets cute. The CDC (center for disease control) another flim-flam governmental agency, claim the water the young lady was swimming in IS SAFE to swim in. This is their solutions on how to prevent this from happening to other people.
They did not say DO NOT to swim it the infected areas; but for the swimmers to try and keep their heads from going under water while swimming and or wear nose plugs.
If they would have put these infected/affected areas off limits; it may have impacted the tourists trade. Better to lose a few more people than jeopardize their potential revenue. Typical government move.
In the past few years the word that has been so commonly used and abused in our government, transparency, it has become a joke.
To the DC Dudes and all the rest of the political comedians in this country. Be up-front with all information to the public, good or bad, so people can take the proper precautions to protect themselves.
If I know some joker is coming after me with a baseball bat; I can gear up for the confrontation. If not; well you know the rest of the story.